Monday, August 15, 2011

Not sure about this idea...

In my post 12 hour night shift exhaustion, I'm watching TV this afternoon (morning?) and see a commercial for a new TV show called Big Sexy... I didn't really pay attention to the whole thing, but basically it's about big women loving who they are and being proud of their size...

Now, I've seen things like this before on TV... I'm all about body acceptance, but I don't think it is acceptable to promote being unhealthy. These women are beautiful, there's no doubt about it. But are they healthy? I saw on the Today Show last week, a woman who was all about size acceptance and being "big and beautiful" who decided to change her thought process once she found out she was pre-diabetic and had some other health issues... from being overweight.

For a long time, I tried so hard just to love who I was being overweight... Didn't work. I think loving who you are has many components... Taking care of yourself, accepting your limitations, and knowing you're doing the best you can. I pray that these women see the harmful effects that being overweight can have on your body. I once read that being obese is likely to overtake cigarette smoking in the number of morbidities in this country. People KNOW that smoking is unhealthy for you, and things are changing because of that. I think we need to do more to crush the obesity rates in this country. It is out of control (well, that's a whole other blog for another day when I'm feeling a little more...awake).

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how this show unfolds. I probably won't watch it, just too many other fun things to do with my life, like blog. Peace. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment